Saturday, August 8, 2009

Personal Learning Network - Part 8

In this final posting on personal learning networks I would like to proceed in another direction. I am currently in the final stages of writing a paper to graduate. My paper is about the effects of networked learning and personal learning networks in education. My blog postings have concentrated on personal learning networks and information was retrieved from internet sources and pioneers on these concepts. The direction of this posting is based off a book that I just read. The book is called The Magic of Thinking Big by Dr. David Schwartz.

The reason I would like to use this book in relation to my discussion on personal learning networks is because of the some of the points (along with examples) Dr. Schwartz makes in the book. As we discussed personal learning networks allows a person a means to connect to subject matter experts to learn more on a given topic. Essentially, relates to the saying “It is not what you know but who you know”. One of the examples presented by Dr. Schwartz is located under the section knowledge is power- when you see it constructively (Schwartz, 1987, p.37). In this section Dr. Schwartz provides many examples. Albert Einstein used in one of these examples. Einstein was once asked the question how many feet are in a yard. Einstein’s reply was “I don’t know”. Einstein then posed a question back that stated “Why should I fill my brain with facts I can find in two minutes in any standard reference book?” (Schwartz, 1987, p.37) In another example Henry Ford (founder of the ford motor company) was asked a series of simple questions by the Chicago Tribune. These questions ranged from who was Benedict Arnold to when the Revolutionary War was fought? Henry Ford replied “I don’t know the answers to those questions but I can find a man in five minutes who does.” (Schwartz, 1987, p.37) In a last example two characters in the book was sitting down and watching a game show. There was a man on the game show that was very good at answering the questions on all subjects, a man who was storage of facts (think of a game show like Jeopardy). Towards the end of the game show one of the characters turns to the other and asked him “How much do you think I’d pay that guy to work for me.” After some discussion the character who asked the question says “not a cent of 300 hundred dollars.” Because that character believes that would be the cost of a good set of encyclopedias. This character believes that the man on the game show can only memorize facts and can’t think beyond that. (Schwartz, 1987, p.38).

Now what does this information have to do with personal learning networks. The point Dr. Schwartz is making with these examples is that it is more important to know how to think and not to spend too much mental capabilities on warehousing facts. Take a look at these examples mentioned above. In two cases we have Ford and Einstein who have achieved great success in their fields. These stories give insights into the type of thinkers/scholars that they were; these many were not man who know everything or were fact based. They were man of ideas and know how to think. Essentially, these men did not know everything but know who to go to for information. Ford said it best I don’t know the answers to those questions but I can find a man in five minutes who does.”

Being storage of facts is all well and fine but does that make you intelligent? Knowing how and where to retrieve information to benefit you is more important than being able to store information. Through my discussion on these topics I hope that I was able to demonstrate the importance of networked learning and personal learning networks in education.

“Am I using my mental ability to make history, or am I using it merely to record history made by others?” (Schwartz, 1987, p.38).


Schwartz, D. (1987). The magic of thinking big. New York: Fireside.

No comments:

Post a Comment